A few months ago, I told you all that I was planning to begin a structured diet and exercise plan in preparation for the wedding. The official start date was March 17th (exactly 6 months pre-wedding), which means I am closing in on week number four.
Here’s what I’m doing to get healthy:
1) I lowered my calories. There are lots of places online that will help you determine how many calories you need each day, based on your weight and activity level. I’m currently eating 1600 cals/day, and I’ll reevaluate my needs as I lose weight.
2) I increased my exercise. I’m ashamed to say it, but before I started my little regimen, my exercise level had dwindled to an almost non-existent level. So, I committed to working out 4 days a week for about 45 minutes each time. At first, it felt impossible, but exercise has become enjoyable now— that’s something I never thought I’d say!
3) I found a buddy. Lucky for me, Travis was feeling like shaping up as well! We’ve been keeping each other motivated, and providing encouragement on those inevitable days when workouts feel like nothing but a struggle. Bonus: it forces us to spend a little more time together, and the constant rooting for each other has had really positive impacts on our relationship!
4) I write down everything I eat. By keeping track of my diet in a food diary, I have full awareness of the number of calories I consume. I also second-guess my food choices… I ask myself: would I be a little embarrassed to show someone what I ate today? If the answer is yes, I reach for something else.
5) I splurge. Here’s the thing that had me worried before I started all of this: I love food. And I’m not gonna lie, I definitely crave not-so-healthy things. Every Friday night, Travis and I go out to dinner— a tradition we had going well before our new diet was in place— and that’s my time to order anything that I want. I don’t let myself feel guilty about putting cheese on my burrito, or ordering a burger and fries. Having 1 splurge meal a week makes “eating healthy” so much more doable, and you want to know the good news? The longer we’ve been eating well, the less we crave the crappy stuff!
6) I don’t over-weigh myself. I do a “weigh-in” once a week (Friday mornings), and I hide the scale under the bathroom counter the rest of the time. My goal is to slim down a bit and tone my muscles, but I don’t want to be weight obsessed. It’s more important that I look and feel healthy… the rest is just a number.
So, with all that… here’s how I’ve done so far:
-I feel 100 times better than I did before I started! Like I mentioned above, I actually enjoy working out now! I have way more energy, and I love the fact that I’m not craving junk food.
-As of last Friday, I’ve lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks! (I’ll do my 4 week weigh-in on Friday, so keep your fingers crossed!)
And if you’re into reading about health, nutrition, and body image, a friend of mine recently started a blog on the topic! Check it out here.
Would (or did) you shape up especially for your wedding? What do you do to keep yourself fit and healthy? Have you tried and of my methods? Got any other good tips to share? Please do so in the comments!
P.S.- Don’t forget to enter this week’s awesome giveaway!