The first month of parenting comes with a STEEP learning curve. Thank god for modern technology because we probably couldn’t have gotten through these first weeks without a few life-saving products:
1) Zutano baby booties… regular socks just don’t stay on tiny baby feet. When Hazel was first born, we got two pairs of these from other moms and now I know why! They’re totally cozy and stay on 100% of the time. Needless to say, we’ve already purchased the next size up because I can’t live without them.
2) Nature Babycare biodegradable diapers… We plan to try cloth diapering once Hazel gets a bit older and isn’t going through 70,000 diapers per day. But for now, we use these wonderful eco-friendly diapers and can feel good about the fact that they won’t clog our landfill because there is absolutely no plastic in them! You’d never know that they weren’t regular disposables and they work great, plus no guilty conscience :)
3) Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple butter… this stuff SAVED my nipples during the first two weeks of breastfeeding. (I never had any bleeding or cracking, and I attribute it to both Hazel’s good latch and a healthy dose of this miracle cream.) Plus, it’s 100% natural and safe for both mama and baby.
4) Aden & Anais swaddle blankets… these muslin swaddle blankets are lightweight and breathable, plus they come in lots of cute patterns. We swaddle Hazel every night and couldn’t live without these!
5) Tommee Tippee anti-colic bottles… We introduced Hazel to the bottle at 2 weeks. I’d been pumping a bunch to relieve engorgement, so we had lots of breast milk on hand and Travis was excited to be able to feed her. She took to these bottles right away and we’ve had zero issue with nipple confusion. (This girl will down 4 oz. in just a couple of minutes, it’s crazy!!)
6) Graco Swing By Me baby swing… seriously, I would have a baby in my arms 100% of the time if it weren’t for this thing. We picked it up second hand when Hazel was a week or so old and we haven’t looked back! It’s been especially great now that Travis is back to work. I can make myself breakfast and get dressed in the morning while baby girl rocks away happily.
7) K’tan baby carrier… I’m a huge advocate of baby wearing, but there are a LOT of options out there. I was pretty overwhelmed when I was researching all the different types of carriers, but I’m so happy that we settled on the K’tan. It’s very similar to the ever-popular Moby wrap, but the K’tan is partially pre-wrapped for you, so it’s less work than the Moby. Hazel loves it, and so do I!
Mamas: got any favorite baby products of your own to share? Tell me what you’re loving in the comments!