Don’t get me wrong, I am SO happy to be getting married. But I’ve also discovered that there are some less-than-fun aspects of this whole engagement thing. (Almost engaged girls: prepare yourselves!)
Here are my top five un-fun engagement frustrations (in no particular order):
1. Money management. This one isn’t too surprising, I guess. But boy does it suck to fall in love with something and then realize that it’s not in the budget. Even when you can afford something, talking finances is never that fun and can easily take me out of the spirit of wedding planning.
2. When other couples get engaged after you, but married before you. I should have known that this would happen, since Travis and I chose to have a longer engagement (14.5 months), but I had no idea it would bug me so much! I didn’t know many betrothed couples before our engagement this summer, but now it feels like everyone is putting a ring on it. Even Kate Middleton and Price William are getting married before we are, and they JUST got engaged!!
3. When both of your ex’s happen to work at the restaurant that is catering your wedding. Oh, that doesn’t happen to everybody? Well, aren’t we lucky…
4. Opinions, opinions, opinions. Everyone has one, and they love to share. I’ve heard that this happens with new parents as well (something else to look forward to, I guess…), and I still don’t know exactly how to handle everyone’s “help”. I’ve learned that when people tell you what your wedding should or shouldn’t be like— or when they make specific requests— it’s usually out of love. It’s their way of saying “I want your wedding to be awesome… here’s how to make it happen”. Cue the smile and nod…
5. People assuming that they’re invited to the wedding. Yikes… this one is probably the worst of them all, mostly due to guilt. Travis and I both have big families, but we’re having the wedding at my parent’s house, which isn’t big enough to hold everyone. (Not to mention, our just-out-of-college budget can’t handle the weight of everyone we’re related to!) It’s so hard running into people who offhandedly say “I can’t wait for the wedding!”, when we know that they probably won’t be on the guest list.
Married or engaged girls: Did you run into these problems when you were planning your wedding? Any other difficult things about being engaged?
Single and almost-engaged girls: Any tips on how to best handle these situations??! Do you anticipate engagement difficulties? Tell me about it in the comments!!